Saturday, August 22, 2015

“Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.”

I.I. Sefton (not his real name) writes at Cut.Jib.Newsletter.com,
...Recently, I’ve been working freelance at a major liberal news publication (pardon the redundancies) which shall also remain nameless, but has been described due to its lack of credibility/intellectual honesty by some of my friends as “an amateur little webzine.” Although I had apprehensions about working there because of its political leanings, mercifully, my gig as a writer has limited me to writing responses to RFP’s from potential advertisers (the paycheck doesn’t hurt either, by the way). As a side note, that is journalism today; basically hacks, scum and shysters pitching story ideas to “journalists” as opposed to the latter actually going out and hunting actual news stories to report. Or, in a word, prostitution. Apologies to the ladies and transvestite junk-tuckers who work hard for the money.

But I digress. So, my first few days are all fairly harmless enough, writing up dumb pitches for stories involving automobiles, movies, software, etc., but across the wide aisle are the “writers” working on stories for the website. And then, the inevitable happens. The stupid I have dreaded finally wafts over the void and hits my eardrum:

“Hey, didn’t Trump have a board game?” “Yeah, let’s get it and see if there’s some sort of angle that really REVEALS something about him!”

Yes, gentle reader. These are the heirs to H.L. Mencken and Theodore White. And yet, though you’d never really know it by reading the papers, we have a woman who sold the State Dept. by the pound, kept and conducted official government business on illegal servers, exposing top government secrets, not to mention goniffed most of the state of Arkansas (what there is of it to goniff), was an acolyte of Saul Alinsky and on her watch allowed 4 brave Americans to die in Benghazi while lying about the nature of the attack and the fact that they lied to cover an arms smuggling deal to ISIS terrorists in Syria. Just off the top of my head, people. And yet, from the fearless members of the 5th Column 4th Estate just a few feet away from me… nothing. Nothing but Trump, that is.

And then today, I’m writing a proposal for some sort of interactive article to promote a new TV series in the vein of “Wall Street.” The idea is to find scandals, stupid quotes and other bits of nasty trivia but all my boss could guide me to were websites about Chris Christie, Dan Quayle, Rudy Giuliani, Dubya, Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann. I bet you’re seeing a pattern here. I tried sneaking in a few “corpse-men,” “57 states” and other references, but to no avail. Oh well, within a few minutes I was mercifully onto another, much less politically-oriented assignment. It’s sad really. I really like my colleagues, but what the hell am I going to do?

It’s one thing to grow up with a certain political viewpoint and mindset, but hopefully, along the way you are at least exposed to opposing viewpoints where you can at least understand why someone you don’t agree with thinks the way they do. That’s how I grew up, but that was from the 70’s through the 90’s, culminating on 9/11/01. But today, people are educated/brainwashed into having a default leftist mindset and to shout down anyone who deviates from that in the slightest. Or at least to treat that person as insane/wrong/evil and to be shunned or be given the Torquemada treatment.

Oh well, as Vito taught Michael, “keep your friends close, but your enemies closer.”
Read more here.

No comments: