Sunday, April 16, 2017

April's Mixed Blessings

Guest post by Suzann Darnall

My life is usually a bit of a mix of blessings and not-so-blessings. I think life is like that for most of us. But, this particular weekend in April is seeming especially to be a bit of the good and a bit of the not-so-good. Easter and taxes all in the same span of days is quite the rollercoaster of emotional events.

In the bible, we are told, by Jesus, “. . . Render therefore unto Cæsar the things which be Cæsar’s, and unto God the things which be God’s.” This quote can be found in the new Testament, Luke 20:25. Similar scriptures are to found elsewhere.

Now, I have no problem envisioning our greedy government as Caesar and I am totally on board with seeing the IRS as the tax collectors requiring we render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s. I am also all about rendering unto God that which is God’s. I pay my tithing regularly and do it with great joy. I am totally not so joyful about paying my taxes.

I realize governments need money to run. I also realize that our governments, at all levels, have begun to more run amok than merely run. We pay way more in taxes than we should ‘cause our governments are too large, too inefficient, too greedy, and totally out of control in almost all cases across this land.

But, as angry as I am about one more time having to render unto the IRS, I am more elated about once again celebrating Easter. ‘Cause, taxes are a temporary curse of this world . . . and, thanks to my Lord and Savior, so is death! Because He died and rose again, I can partake of eternal life. And, wow! That is certainly something to celebrate!!!

Thus, once again I will send off an electronic payment unto Washington, DC to render my taxes. But, oh so much more importantly, once again I will send off unto Heaven my heartfelt prayers to render my praises and gratitude! This is why, even on the Ides of April, I can smile and have joy in my soul.

I send out a greeting to all y’all that each might have a happy Easter and a blessed Sabbath Day . . . if Easter and Christian worship be part of your calendar events. If not, I pray you at the very least have a nice weekend and get your taxes done on time.

Sayonara,
Suzann
http://www.suziezoo.com
http://www.woolymammoth.org

No comments: