Friday, June 27, 2008

Learning To Drive

Today I took my son to apply for a job. Well, actually, he drove. He has his learner's permit, and wanted to drive my car, which is a stick shift, as opposed to mom's van, which he has been driving (or, more accurately, steering). He did very well, for the most part. We just have to work on staying in our lane when turning, and putting the brake on when we park in neutral at the super market. Oh yes, we need to try real hard not to grind the gears when shifting.

I was not as good of a driving instructor as Bob Newhart is in this audio performance.

Via Theo Spark

2 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Heh! I can't hear the audio with dial-up, but I love Newhart. He's one of those special comedians that's funny for everyone, and he don't hafta shock people to do it.

The first time I learned to drive a stick shift I was 14. My best friend's dad, who was a logger, taught me with an old 1962 ford pickup, on a loggin' road in the wintertime.

There was snow on the ground, and there was a drop off of hundreds of feet to one side of the road.

I was terrified! LOL!

Terri Wagner said...

I never did master the stick. I just won't drive one anymore after the 4 am NJ Turnpike experience involving a semi and a toll bridge; no, no one was hurt, ha.