Thursday, December 27, 2012

Translating carnage into public policy victory

Jonah Goldberg writes one of the most sensitive pieces about the Newtown massacre. He concludes,

In the wake of the slaughter, there are arguments I agree with and arguments I find ridiculous. And everything in between. What I dislike is the immediate rush to turn the slaughter into an any argument at all. The problem, alas, is that the moment one “side” tries to translate this carnage into a public-policy victory, arguments are not only inevitable but required. Because in a democracy, the way you make laws is by arguing over them first. I just resent the forced necessity of it all. I wish the parents could just bury their children first.

Read more here: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/336172/rush-impose-reason-horror-jonah-goldberg

No comments: