Sunday, December 16, 2012

The way it is done in Israel

At American Digest Gerard Vanderleun links to Joan at Primordial Slack, who posts this picture of children at an elementary school in Israel.

Velociman writes about how we as a nation cringe when it comes to institutionalizing our mentally ill citizens.

We cannot summon the spine to do what sometimes must be done. We have deinstitutionalized every mentally ill person in the nation, to prowl the streets and haunt our commutes. To defecate in our common areas, and terrify our children. Our sense of compassion is noble, but most certainly displaced.

If I'm a rancher and my cow gives birth to a two-headed calf I'll either 1) parade it around for money or 2) asphyxiate it. I'm not going to leave it with the herd and pretend it's okay. Because it's not. It's eventually going to kill itself because the one body struggles with satisfying two competing brains. It's cruel to treat it normally.

I figure this Lanza fellow was like that calf. Mom and Dad certainly couldn't parade his abnormalities around for money, but they refused to institutionalize him. And eventually those two minds had had enough. Tough love is a hard thing. I'm glad I've never had to make such choices. I would probably flagellate myself senseless if I institutionalized my child. But I'd sleep like a baby compared to what I would feel if my child had done this thing we witnessed today. That, of course, is assuming I wasn't the first one killed, like Mom.

Read more here: http://www.velociworld.com/Velociblog/Oldvelocity/004032.html

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Harsh but real