Sunday, May 04, 2008

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness: a Lie?

Today my pastor preached about having a purpose in life. He said that America's promise of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness was a lie. He warned the congregation not to get caught up in a materialistic lifetyle.

I resented his remarks about Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness being a lie in America. I guess he was referring to the last of the three, the pursuit of happiness, as being a mistake for Christians to follow. But, what is wrong with pursuing happiness? Pursuing happiness does not mean pursuing materialism. I am just sick of all the America-bashing Barack Obama's candidacy has made vogue. Because of liberty, a pastor can criticize America. I would rather be around a happy person than an unhappy one.

Here are some excerpts of a commencement speech P.J. O'Rourke would give to this year's crop of college graduates.
Well, here you are at your college graduation. And I know what you're thinking: "Gimme the sheepskin and get me outta here!" But not so fast. First you have to listen to a commencement speech.

Don't moan. I'm not going to "pass the wisdom of one generation down to the next." I'm a member of the 1960s generation. We didn't have any wisdom.

We were the moron generation. We were the generation that believed we could stop the Vietnam War by growing our hair long and dressing like circus clowns. We believed drugs would change everything -- which they did, for John Belushi. We believed in free love. Yes, the love was free, but we paid a high price for the sex.

My generation spoiled everything for you. It has always been the special prerogative of young people to look and act weird and shock grown-ups. But my generation exhausted the Earth's resources of the weird. Weird clothes -- we wore them. Weird beards -- we grew them. Weird words and phrases -- we said them. So, when it came your turn to be original and look and act weird, all you had left was to tattoo your faces and pierce your tongues. Ouch. That must have hurt. I apologize.

So now, it's my job to give you advice. But I'm thinking: You're finishing 16 years of education, and you've heard all the conventional good advice you can stand. So, let me offer some relief:

1. Go out and make a bunch of money!

Here we are living in the world's most prosperous country, surrounded by all the comforts, conveniences and security that money can provide. Yet no American political, intellectual or cultural leader ever says to young people, "Go out and make a bunch of money." Instead, they tell you that money can't buy happiness. Maybe, but money can rent it.

There's nothing the matter with honest moneymaking. Wealth is not a pizza, where if I have too many slices you have to eat the Domino's box. In a free society, with the rule of law and property rights, no one loses when someone else gets rich.

2. Don't be an idealist!

Don't chain yourself to a redwood tree. Instead, be a corporate lawyer and make $500,000 a year. No matter how much you cheat the IRS, you'll still end up paying $100,000 in property, sales and excise taxes. That's $100,000 to schools, sewers, roads, firefighters and police. You'll be doing good for society. Does chaining yourself to a redwood tree do society $100,000 worth of good?

Idealists are also bullies. The idealist says, "I care more about the redwood trees than you do. I care so much I can't eat. I can't sleep. It broke up my marriage. And because I care more than you do, I'm a better person. And because I'm the better person, I have the right to boss you around."

Get a pair of bolt cutters and liberate that tree.

Who does more for the redwoods and society anyway -- the guy chained to a tree or the guy who founds the "Green Travel Redwood Tree-Hug Tour Company" and makes a million by turning redwoods into a tourist destination, a valuable resource that people will pay just to go look at?

So make your contribution by getting rich. Don't be an idealist.


Via Betsy's Page

7 comments:

julie said...

I must respectfully disagree with your pastor, Bob. Though misery and strife are a big and inescapable part of life, I don't believe they are the point. To blame the pursuit of happiness for the wrongs of the world strikes me as deeply flawed. I like the commencement speech, though.

Swamp Willow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Who said...

(durn it...that deleted comment was me...forget to check which account I'm using to post on blogger)

That commencement speech was awesome!

Just tell your preacher your purpose is working with kids...kids who deserve to be happy. How can they be happy if you have no materials with which to shelter and clothe them?
Pursuing happiness, especially for your family, when done right, is a very godly ideal.

Webutante said...

Bob, I've said it before and I'll say it again....you need a new pastor. Don't care for him. Even Jesus saved many well-to-do people. It when money owns you that it can become a problem.

Bob's Blog said...

webutante,
I do believe that his heart is in a good place, Five of his six children are adopted, and he is spearheading a nationwide adoption movement. (He and his wife were recently honored guests of George and Laura Bush). He is a loving man, and the congregation is loving, too. The charge that Sunday morning is the most segregated hour of the week cannot be leveled against this congregation, which has a wonderful mix of races and colors.

The fact that he is wrong about things just gives me blogfodder, and I hope to have an opportunity to chat with him sone day.

I have noticed that he does not shy away from putting wealthy people on his board of directors. Chuckle, chuckle.

Colleen has developed a good relationship with his wife, who is going to do Sara's hair in "sisterlocks."

Daddio said...

Love the speech. Agree that the pastor could have chosen better words. As long as the happiness you seek is eternal life, and you use your worldy success to benefit your family AND your neighbors... why not try to succeed?

Holly said...

it says "pursuit of happiness"

it does not define what happiness is (could be wealth, might not be)

it does not say the pursuit will END in happiness. Some things you can pursue and not achieve.

Money does not buy happiness, but when you don't have enough to eat, you do not have heat in the winter, it is very hard to be content with what you have. Money is the grease that keeps life moving smoothly. It is only ONE ingredient in contentment but it's like trying to make bread without flour....it is essential.

Remember money has been valued in all cultures all over the world. Sometimes money took the form of weapons or adornment or pelts, but it was value exchanged for value. In our case, it is paper or metal for other items.