Friday, May 02, 2008

Growth Industries

There is one area of our economy that is growing by leaps and bounds. Lobbyists spent 2.8 billion dollars lobbying the federal government last year. That figure is double what it was in 1999. Now there is a growth industry! Tell your kids to study to be lobbyists. Oh, wait, they don't need to study. They just need truckloads of cash, and it would help if they had no conscience.

Speaking of lobbyists; I go about every two weeks to the cardiologist's office for a protime. That is where the nurse draws some blood to see if my blood has thinned sufficiently on the medicine they are prescribing (Coumadin). I still haven't gotten it to the right thinness.

Every time I go to the doctor's office, which is located in a wing of a large hospital, I see swarms of lobbyists from pharmaceutical companies. They are all dressed in suits, and all have briefcases full of samples...wait, maybe it's cash! Come to think of it, I have never seen what is inside those briefcases. I know they are heavy, though, because the salespeople, especially the female ones, always are pulling them on wheels.

No comments: