Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A set up!

As my regular readers know, I am a big fan of Ann Voskamp. I read her A Holy Experience blog every day. She talks about God's love, His grace, and the importance of our being grateful and giving gifts to others.

I drive a little Chevy Metro that has over 200,000 miles on it. I have driven it for fourteen years. For much of that time I drove it daily from Golden, Colorado up into the mountains where I was Director of Human Services in a mountain community. On snowy days, I would often see SUVs in the ditch, because their drivers were overconfident and impatient. Slow and steady was my humble motto that kept me from hitting deer and kept me on the road.

I am no longer a big shot Director. Now, in my "retirement" years, I am just a humble cashier in a big box store. The other night, when we had a big snowstorm, my schedule had me working until ten p.m. As I was leaving work I overheard a man asking what time the auto shop opened in the morning. 7 a.m. was the answer he was given. Then I heard him ask if there was a bench he could sit on. Yes, right over there. I realized this man was stranded because of the snow storm and his having car troubles, and that he was planning to sit on that bench all night until the auto shop opened!

As I left, I walked past him sitting on the bench. I got out the door, but God turned me around. I went back inside and offered to give the man a ride home. He called his wife on the cell phone to let her know to expect him. As he followed me outside and saw my humble little car, he said, "The roads are not plowed where I live. Do you think your car will be able to make it?" I answered, "We'll see."

As I dropped him off at his house, he reached into his pocket for his wallet. He said he had called all the taxi companies, but no one would respond in the blizzardy weather. I said, "No, thank you. This ride was in the name of Jesus Christ, whose love is given to us freely as a gift. All you have to do is receive the gift, and then pass it on to others." As I drove slowly away up a hill, gaining traction on the third try, I laughed out loud and told God that was fun! I thanked God for the opportunity to serve Him, and accused God of setting the whole thing up!

No comments: