Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Walling ourselves off from God

Mushroom writes a blog at Fungle Jungle. Lately I have been more and more drawn to his wisdom. Today he writes about what we do in the dark, withdrawing into our rooms of pictures.

Sadly, pictures can also be a means of creating something unreal, of distorting, isolating, and objectifying reality. If our room of pictures becomes our reality, if we prefer to live in an intellectualized, romanticized, simplified representation then we are going to wall ourselves off from God. The danger is that our very understanding of God will become distorted, stripped of awe, and neutered. We might even convince ourselves we could take His place. Sealed in the darkness with our images and imaginations, we are truly trapped in a chamber of horrors, next door to hell.

Do I have my room of pictures? Do I have something that I look at that I would rather God did not see? Let's not fool ourselves into thinking we are talking just about naked women -- or, I guess, naked men. Nor is it limited to idolatry of one kind or another. It may be something dark and sinful -- lust, hatred, greed, or envy. But it may also be something that hurts us, a wound we hide, some wrong done to us or by us that we can't bear to have Him look upon. It doesn't matter if my room of pictures is the size of a trunk or the Louvre; it's still a shut off place, something I want to hold for myself, that I don't want God to clean out or even rearrange. I have it the way I like it. It is mine.

Mushroom's recommendation?

Don't add any more bricks to the wall. Tear it down.

found here: http://funglejungle.blogspot.com/2013/03/little-shop-of-horrors.html

No comments: