Thursday, March 14, 2013

Did you see happiness today?

Mushroom at Fungle Jungle wrote a post recently advising us to Be Happy. As always, he made many good points, and was Scripturally based. But, I think it is sad that someone has to write a blog post urging Christians to be happy.

I have written before how I grew up attending a very somber church with my parents. I think it was that way mainly because of the personality of the minister. When I went away to college and attended Southern Baptist churches, I loved the joyous singing. People were actually happy to be Christians, and they praised God for their salvation.

During the 1960s I got impatient with Baptists on civil rights-related issues. Nowadays I work on Sundays, and don't even attend church most Sundays.

However, no one has to tell me there is a reason for us Christians to be happy in living a life of thankful joy for God's grace. I interact with lots of people at work. My favorites are babies. If they have been loved, and are being loved, they have a gleam in their eyes and a joy that is unstoppable!

We who know God's love should have joy bubbling up in us like those babies! Passing joy on to others just brings more joy right back to us. Joy is contagious. Did you see joy on anyone's face today?

I saw joy today on babies' faces. I saw joy on the faces of their mothers and fathers.

I saw joy on the face of a maintenance worker who was pushing a dry mop. I asked her why she was smiling. She said, "It has just been a good day!"

I saw joy on the face of a man who was pushing grocery carts. I asked him why he was smiling. He said, "This is great weather today. I am thinking about riding my bike when I get home!"

I saw joy on the face of a girl about 5-years-old, who was wearing a new pink dress, and skipping happily along with her mother following closely behind her.

Did people see joy on your face today?

No comments: