Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Happy Freedom Day!

The Independence Eve celebration in downtown Denver was definitely worth the trip. Thousands of people gathered to watch and listen to the Colorado Symphony Orchestra and a few fireworks. When the orchestra played the 1812 Overture, the buildings lit up and fireworks exploded in the sky. The color guard presented the flags as the performance began with the Star Spangled Banner. Of course, the kids and I were in the front row right next to the orchestra. No self-respecting blogger would settle for less, especially when it is a free event! The tunes? My favorite was Born in the USA, although I am not too sure how many of the crowd were actually born in the USA. It is a song that encourages one to belt out at the top of one's lungs, which I did, happily.

The skies here are full of smoke. There is a state-wide fireworks ban, as new wildfires are raging in the mountains.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

awesome fireworks. Love them. My favorite spot was Yorktown. They would shoot them off a barge on the James River. I'd always spend the day at Yorktown just trying to imagine how that day felt.