Thursday, February 07, 2008

A Turnaround...For Both Parents and Child

Readers may be really confused at how Linebacker Dude has turned around. His defiance is still there, bubbling very near the surface. I meet his defiance with humor, love and physicality. He loves the physicality. When he gets into the dark mood, I challenge him to a race from here to the couch. I run, while he does his linebacker thing, trying to tackle me and throw me for a loss. Within seconds, he is out of his dark mood and laughing hysterically. No drugs needed. no spankings needed; just a dad who is in good enough shape to laugh and play hard.

Please don't forget the role of mom here. She has also changed her attitude toward him, giving him the hugs and smiles and praise. When the weather warms up, he will be right there with her, mucking out the horse stalls and feeding the chickens and goats, and playing with the dogs and cat.

2 comments:

Rita Loca said...

Thanks for sharing this update!

julie said...

I'm glad to hear he's doing so well, and that you guys have figured out what works better with him. It's amazing how a shift in tactics can make such a difference!