Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A Calming Influence?

At the parent-teacher conference seven-year-old Jon's teacher described him as a "calming influence" on the other children. I nearly fell out of my chair. Ever since he was a fussy baby, Jon has never been a calming influence. He is many wonderful things, but calming influence is one I have not yet noticed.

We are having a snow day today: no school. So, all seven children are home. When I groggily walked out of my bedroom this morning, I was hit by a remote-controlled vehicle. The person who was remotely controlling the vehicle was, you guessed it, Jon. I surely hope he will be able to find the vehicle after the snow melts some time in June.

Last night he ran so fast across the floor that he crashed into the wall at the bottom of the stairs, creating a knee-sized hole in the wall. Those stairs are where someone is supposed to stop, turn left, and go up them.

We love Jon's creativity, intelligence, curiosity, good humor, energy, and his unfailing kindness to the foster children. But calming influence? I just have to let that one settle in a bit more.

No comments: