Sunday, February 17, 2008

Our Choices in Music

Music. What do you listen to? How does it affect your attitude? Is the music you listen to positive? Is it encouraging and uplifting? Is it about optimism and love? Does it make you want to hold your head up high and whistle? Does it remind you of what and who is important in your life? Does it fill you with gratitude for all the blessings you enjoy? Does it make you feel determined and confident to succeed in life? Does it remind you what you have to live for?

We have a lot of choices these days, and the field of music is one where choices truly abound. The music I described above was the only choice I had growing up. I was always whistling or humming some popular tune. That music is still around, on the oldies stations.

Nowadays, however, teens are listening to music that has the exact opposite effect on their attitudes. Whistle? They wouldn't even understand the concept! Their music is all about encouraging self-pity, the single most destructive quality humans can have in their character. The music that was formerly reserved for stoners is now mainstream for teens.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

I feel like I contributed to this mess music is in because I to quote a phrase loved rock and roll, especially the hairbands of the 80s. Now I just gringe when I hear the lyrics.