Tuesday, April 01, 2008

"Birth Defect"


In an interview with the Washington Times Editorial Board, Condaleeza Rice talks about race in America.
"America doesn't have an easy time dealing with race. I sit in my office and the portrait immediately over my shoulder is Thomas Jefferson, because he was my first predecessor. He was the first Secretary of State. And sometimes I think to myself, what would he think -- (laughter) -- a black woman Secretary of State as his predecessor 65 times removed -- successor, 65 times removed? What would he think that the last two successors have been black Americans? And so, obviously, when this country was founded, the words that were enshrined in all of our great documents and that have been such an inspiration to people around the world, for the likes of Vaclav Havel, associate themselves with those documents. They didn't have meaning for an overwhelming element of our founding population. And black Americans were a founding population. Africans and Europeans came here and founded this country together; Europeans by choice, and Africans in chains.

And that's not a very pretty reality of our founding, and I think that particular birth defect makes it hard for us to confront it, hard for us to talk about it, and hard for us to realize that it has continuing relevance for who we are today. But that relevance comes in two strains. On the one hand, there's the relevance that descendents of slaves, therefore, did not get much of a head start. And I think you continue to see some of the effects of that. On the other hand, the tremendous efforts of many, many, many people, some of whom, whose names we will never know and some individuals’ names who we do know, to be impatient with this country for not fulfilling its own principles, has led us down a path that has put African Americans in positions and places that, I think, nobody would have even thought at the time that Dr. King was assassinated. And so we deal daily with this contradiction, this paradox about America, that on the one hand, the birth defect continues to have effects on our country, and indeed, on the discourse and effects on perhaps the deepest thoughts that people hold; and on the other hand, the enormous progress that has been made by the efforts of blacks and whites together, to finally fulfill those principles."



Via Finest Kind Clinic and fish market

5 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

Having grown up military and going to DOD schools most of my young life, I never say or ran into racism. I am completely bewildered by it and find myself impatient with those who carry on. I suspect it's because I have never been there on either side of it. I can only hope the next generation is like me.

Bob's Blog said...

terri,
You are fortunate, and I share your hope.

mRed said...

It is an important truth Sec Rice speaks. My family was on both sides of the issue through the Civil War. I fear that our "solutions" and resolutions have only perpetuated the problem. I look forward to the day when King's words about the content of a mind is not just the rule, but also the heart-felt belief in this nation.

shoprat said...

She looks at the problem for a solution, not greater political and economic clout. Big difference.

Bob's Blog said...

mred and shoprat,
Good points.