Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Remember Jimmy Carter?

The latest from Michelle Obama in the March 5, 2008 New Yorker:
We’re a divided country, we’re a country that is “just downright mean,” we are “guided by fear,” we’re a nation of cynics, sloths, and complacents. “We have become a nation of struggling folks who are barely making it every day,” she said, as heads bobbed in the pews. “Folks are just jammed up, and it’s gotten worse over my lifetime. And, doggone it, I’m young. Forty-four!”

That is how President Jimmy Carter used to talk about America. That is why so many of us found Ronald Reagan so refreshing, when he described America as "A shining city on a hill." He helped us to believe in ourselves again.

4 comments:

Rita Loca said...

Not very inspiring...maybe that is Obamas immigration plan? Talk so bad about the country ,no one wants to come????

shoprat said...

All we can do is vote and urge others to learn what that man, and Hitlery actually are. I am hoping that Obamamania is beginning to fade. It would be nice to see the Donks with a bad case of buyers' remorse.

Terri Wagner said...

I'm LDS and our late president Gordon B. Hinckley used to emphasize being positive. I used to think it was not possible. But lately I've begun to see that the most defeating mantra is indeed negativity.

Dionne said...

Ditto to what you said!! I often find that Republicans are optimists and Democrats are pessimists. Its sad, and the older I get the more I embrace the optimistic side of things. Just think of the picture that comes to mind when you think of Carter vs. Reagan. And yet, Obama is the candidate of hope. Yah, right!!