Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Please, Let's End The National Epidemic Of "Poor Me"

Cpl. Ian M. Dollard, rifleman, wears the Silver Star Medal he received on Lance Cpl. Torrey L. Gray Field at Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center March 21. Dollard braved enemy bullets to rescue his platoon commander from an enemy ambush during his deployment to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 06-08.
Photo submitted 03/25/2008 Taken by Cpl. Ray Lewis


I was tagged to do this meme by one of the most passionate teachers I know, Mrs. Who.

A PASSION QUILT


THE RULES:
Post a picture or make/take/create your own that captures what YOU are most passionate for students to learn about.

Give your picture a short title.

Title your blog post “Meme: Passion Quilt.”

Link back to this blog entry.

Include links to 5 (or more) educators.

The Poor Me Epidemic
I think one of the most important things we can teach our children is how not to see themselves as victims. Self pity surely is one of the scourges of our modern life. It is so prevalent that one major political party has built itself in recent years around pandering to and segmenting people into one or more victim groups.

The opposite of self pity is personal responsibility. If we can raise a generation of people who take personal responsibility for their actions, the world will surely be a better place in which to live.

So, how do we accomplish this important task? I think we start by being parents who model personal responsibility in the way we conduct our own lives. That means we do not complain. We are grateful to God for each new day, and for each challenge He helps us to meet.

It means that we do not let things slide, when we observe self pity raising its head in our children or in ourselves. It means that we never accept excuses for ourselves or any of our loved ones manipulatively playing the victim card. It means that we do not shy away from giving appropriate consequences when our children take the self pity shortcut. It means that we earn respect from our children, and expect them to respect others. It means we pay close attention, both to what we are modeling, and to correcting those who falsely claim to be victims. We teach our children to be all that they can be. We teach them that not trying is far worse than choosing not to give their best. It means that we communicate with our children, letting them know what we think is important, and showing patience, encouragement, and perseverance.

Let's end the scourge of "poor me, I'm a victim, therefore I am entitled to..."

Okay, now, whom shall I tag?
Terri Wagner is a blogger who shares her insights in a most thoughtful way every day on this blog.

Gecko always has something to inspire us on the Geckofeeder blog.

If I go to the Cook Shack blog, I know that Cookie will have something that makes me smile, and something that makes me think.

Dee is a homeschooling mom who also stays alert to what is happening politically.

At The Lemon Stand, sour lemons are turned into sweet lemonade daily.

5 comments:

Dionne said...

This is an excellent meme that I have actually never seen before, which is incredible ;-). I will definitely be doing this in the near future. Thanks!!

Nancy said...

Very good. (ps, I tagged you with this meme too, but I'm just glad you did it)

Terri Wagner said...

Talk about timely. To my deep regret I never had children, now I have a niece I have taken in who is struggling to overcome a drug addiction and so far doing well. But this victim card is well developed in her. It's tough to figure out just how to handle it. Now I see, I should elminate it from her. Useful advice. Thanks.

Holly said...

this is the single biggest bug-a-boo I have, if you did it, own it and DON'T DO IT AGAIN. If you didn't do, don't own it. There are times when I think a wee bit of self pity is normal.....losing a child/parent/sib/close friend or similar catastrophic issues, there are times when your life simply falls apart through nothing of your own fault. However, feeling sorry for yourself just because life is tough...no. It almost becomes an issue of honesty. And you can guess what my second biggest bug-a-boo is.....lying.

Good job Bob.

Bob's Blog said...

terri,
Good for you. Yes, if she can eliminate that way of thinking, she will be well on her way to recovery.

holly,
Thank you for extending the discussion. You are certainly right that there are times when it would be perfectly normally to start to go down the self pity road. I have been on the road far too many times. It leads to nowhere that is good for me.