Thursday, March 20, 2008

One Who Appreciates Liberty

Earlier today I posted "We're not going to forget them." Gecko wrote a comment about our Vietnam tragedy, whereby we won the battles, but the press and universities influenced so many people to think that the war was being lost, so we withdrew, and over two million South Vietnamese were slaughtered by the North Vietnamese communists.

This week I got my semi-annual haircut. The woman at Walmart who cut my hair was one of the Vietnamese refugees who escaped the communists. At the age of 19, she fit herself into a small boat, which was crammed with lots of other people escaping the communists. She had no room to move for several days, and no food. The little boat was spotted by an oil tanker, who let the refugees come aboard, and took them to Malaysia. A church in Canada sponsored her, and brought her to a camp there, where she met her husband. She has been in Colorado for eight years on a green card, and wants to become a U.S. citizen, but still has not been granted citizenship. She sponsored her mother and six siblings, who have all come to the land of the free and the home of the brave. One sibling remains in Vietnam. He has tried several times to escape, but has been caught every time. She described him as "very unlucky."

5 comments:

Nancy said...

There are so many who struggle for so long to achieve what so many are deeming worthless...mostly because they have no idea of what they really have. We benefit from those who struggle to get here legally and work to contribute to their new home. Meanwhile there are people who think we live in an oppressive society. They have no clue.

I'm glad to have found you again, Bob. My template crashed, and I've been rebuilding my blog roll.

Terri Wagner said...

I remember the stark difference between me and the Vietnamese who made here. A family in my church had sponsored a family. One Sunday, I found the woman with 2 of her children crouching in the bushes. I asked what was wrong, she couldn't speak English but her oldest said we thought it was bombs. It was just a very severe thunderstorm. I still remember the look of terror on her face and how blessed I was to live here where frankly I have not yet (hope never to) know terror like that.

Bob's Blog said...

nancy,
Well said, and welcome back!

terri,
Wow! PTSD big time. We need to do more than hope. We need to vote!

shoprat said...

Maybe Code Pink should have a discussion with her. I don't think they would like the results.

FatwaGirl said...

Today I was chatting with a girl in our office who is from Taiwan. She has a very thick accent but she was telling me about the recent election in Taiwan where they voted for a closer relationship with China. I told her I cannot understand how a country that has seen the evil and misery of communism up close and personal could want to cozy up to it. She agreed but explained that voting in Taiwan is very corrupt with details of how the corruption is organized.

What's the old saying: deep calleth unto deep? Thugs of Red China calleth unto thugs in Taiwan. What is wrong with people? How have they managed to forget so much evil?