Wednesday, March 26, 2008

First Safety, Then Laughter, Then Learning

Reading a passion quilt meme over at Nancy's Garden Spot today, made me think about how providing safety opens up a child to laughter and learning. Colleen and I were talking today about how we love the challenge of taking in children from a variety of backgrounds and melding them into kids who can function in a healthy way.

Today I was playing a game of baseball with my six and seven-year-old sons. Through lots of laughter, I taught the boys how to stand up to bat and a few other basics of baseball. We had lots of fun, then were joined by their two-year-old foster sister, who had been watching from her napping room. She enthusiastically joined in the game. She added golf and lumberjacking to the game, as she used the bat like an axe. Then we were joined by Linebacker Dude, who really prefers the straightforwardness of football to the complex strategies of baseball, but he had fun, too.

I am so proud of my sons for the wonderful way they interact with the foster children and their adopted sister. They are kind and fun-loving, and always are willing to include others in their play or work.

2 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

And that's the real glory in what you do. Your children have a legacy few of us learn early on. I was spoiled, ha. Not that I regret that exactly but it really didn't prepare me for the "real" world. God bless you and your family for what you do.

Bob's Blog said...

Children who are neglected often have a fierce self-centeredness that is extremely difficult for them to let go of. That is what we face with L.D.