Sunday, December 02, 2007

Nivera R.I.P.



Our beautiful paint horse Nivera died last night. She had a history of being colicky. We were always very careful how much grain we gave her. Yesterday was a warm day, then it drizzled and turned very cold overnight; thus the frost on the trees, as seen in my last post. Colleen had given her a small amount of grain, which she had not had for several days. Now we are told that sudden changes in the weather, along with something different in the diet, can quickly kill this powerful, majestic animal.

We all loved her. Actually, I especially admired her beauty, and often remarked to Colleen what a great job she did in picking this beautiful horse to purchase. She was a beautiful, reddish brown, along with the white. Naturally, Colleen is feeling terrible guilt, for having given her the small amount of grain. She does not want me to tell her mother, because she believes that her mother believes that Colleen can never measure up to what she thinks Colleen ought to be.

After she died, the coyotes picked up the scent of death, and came into the paddock area to tear apart the carcass. She died sometime after midnight. Colleen discovered the body this morning. We paid a company to remove the body while we went to church.

The sermon in church was about the Lamb of God, Jesus, who was in the Beginning, long before Bethlehem, but was sent by His Father to this earth, and by His death and resurrection, wiped away the sins of all who believe in Him and seek to do His will on this earth.

15 comments:

Jeffro said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Bob's Blog said...

jeffro,
Thank you.

WomanHonorThyself said...

o gosh I am so sorry..my first time here Bob..what a beautiful animal!

shoprat said...

That is sad.

It is strange how humans are the only "animal" that will make another species an important part of their family.

Bob's Blog said...

womanhonorthyself,
Thank you, and I hope you will come again. I have seen your comments elsewhere.

shoprat,
Yes, it is very sad. Thank you for commenting.

Mrs. Who said...

I'm so sorry. Hugs to Colleen and all of you.

Mizz E said...

Bob, You and Colleen and the kids and your Paint, Nivera are in my prayers.

Bob's Blog said...

mrs. who and mizz e,
Thank you, and the same right back to you.

Daddio said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. How are the kids taking it? I'm sure a horse is quite a financial commitment as well. I suppose it's all a part of country living.

Bob's Blog said...

daddio,
Thank you. We shielded the kids from the death scene, not telling them until we got home from church, when the carcass had been removed. Our five children were all saddened, but they are okay now. The two littlest do not yet know.

julie said...

I'm so sorry, Bob. She was a beautiful horse, and obviously well-loved by her people.

Ambulance Driver said...

Dang, Bob. I'm sorry to hear that.

Bob's Blog said...

julie and a.d.,
Thank you for your kind words.

robinstarfish said...

Bob -

I am so sorry you lost your beautiful horse. I guess the bright side is how resilient the kids are. God bless.

Bob's Blog said...

robinstarfish,
Thank you. Resilience; what a wonderful word. I always appreciate your unique perspective on things.