Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Human Services, Get Your S... Together!

Today was scheduled to be therapy day for Linebacker Dude. Both his occupational therapist and his speech therapist arrived on time at 9:30. Just then the phone rang. It was the Dude's case aide, wanting to know if I could have him to the Human Services Department for a visit with his birthmother by 10:30. "No!" I shouted.

The department is thirty minutes away. The therapy had been scheduled for weeks. The mother abandoned him six months ago so she could "use," then she was sent to prison on a parole violation. Now she is demanding a visit with no notice to the foster parents or therapists. Dude is severely behind where he should be on all tests given to him by the two therapists. It is going to take a lot of work. The mother is living with her grandmother. The grandmother has a scheduled visit next Wednesday.

I asked if the mother could come in with the grandmother. The case aide said no. I asked if she would mind if I called the caseworker. She asked me if I would call the caseworker! I told her I would be glad to do so. I called the caseworker and left her a message that contained no ambiguities.

No comments: