Friday, September 13, 2013

A personal story of self defense

Here is a post I found at a blog called Colorado Blonde.

I am not a large woman. About 5’5″, 125 pounds, and celebrating my 45th birthday in a couple months. The laws of physics, place me on the low end of the scale of size, and I am most definitely not considered a physical threat by a man essentially my own size, and quite obviously, not one bigger.

I am however, a very physically active person. After years of struggling with anorexia, I was threatened with the reality of treatment, and the possibility of it taking me away from my children. I made the decision that day to take control of my problem. That day, that I remember so vividly, I decided that if I was going to be forced to put weight on, I was going to make sure it was muscle. And it began . . .

The active lifestyle that event placed into my heart, has its own possibility of potential threats. I am an avid hiker and cyclist. There is nothing in the world that could possibly compare with the outdoor lifestyle we live here in Colorado. Being in the mountains, provides the real threat of large predators. Sometimes those predators have four legs, sometimes they have two. The bike paths that I frequent throughout the Denver Metro Area, are often barren, allowing me the opportunity to seek some solace. But with that solace, comes the threat of someone who could potentially mean to do me harm.

Twice now, I have missed the finding of a body by a day. I have once, missed the sexual assault of a woman by a few hours. I had, on one occasion, a transient man I had seen before, start to approach me on the path. I looked him square in the eyes and said “You better leave me alone, or I’m going to fuck you up.” He backed away, turned on his heal, and started walking off. These are real threats to society. Real threats to women. We are indeed, the weaker gender of the species. If you claim to care about my well being . . . If you claim to care about my needs . . . Then you do not author and support legislation that takes away my own ability to care for my well being, and needs.

On a trail, that I have been on countless times; this occurred yesterday.

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. – Wheat Ridge police have identified 44-year-old Marvin Gean Wilson as the man suspected of stabbing a mother and her toddler son on the Greenbelt trail along Clear Creek Thursday morning.

Wilson is a convicted sex offender with an outstanding 2007 arrest warrant for allegedly raping a girl under age 15 at his Wheat Ridge apartment after giving her beer and Jagermeister shots, according to an arrest affidavit obtained by 7NEWS. Police say Wilson fled rather than surrender to police in September 2007 and has been a fugitive ever since.

Read the entire story here: The Denver Channel

I have a concealed weapons permit, and rarely is there a time that I am unarmed. This is something I feel I need to do because 1) I value my life. 2) I have the Right to do so as an American citizen.

I try not to frequent the world of “What If’s.” But I cannot help but ponder, simply because of my familiarity with this particular trail, “What if I had been there to help that woman and her toddler son yesterday morning? They may not have been stabbed, because I’m armed, and prepared to use it. Prepared to use it for me, or anyone else who might be in danger.”

We all live in the real world. Not the world that I have penned the name of “Liberal Utopian Wet Dream” to. There are realities in this world that must be accepted. Realities that no amount of denial can make disappear into the ether. Democrats in my state, would have done all they could to make an abortion a free and easy option for this mother who was stabbed yesterday, but, have done all they can to allow her to be victimized by a man.

My square state is dying. The days of its’ heritage and pride are disappearing. We have been overrun by those who have a warped view of reality. Those who focus their political efforts on birth control, gun control, race baiting, and the redistribution of wealth.

I’m embarrassed. Embarrassed and humiliated by our representatives in this state. You can now come to Colorado for weed, but they’ll be damned if they let you in with a proper magazine to go elk hunting.

Bizarro World, thine name is Colorado.

No comments: