Saturday, August 03, 2013

Introverts and extroverts

My psychology professor in college was an introvert, and proud of it. Many years later, introverts are thought to be less happy than extroverts. I am skeptical of such assertions, perhaps because of the impact my old psychology professor had on me.

I can spend almost a whole day reading and writing blog posts, and be very happy at the end of the day. I also like interacting with people, and have a job that requires me to be good at it.

I am suspicious of people who are loud and always jabbering. I don't think they are happier than I or mentally healthier than I. I probably misjudge them. I have caught myself doing so; expecting the worst from them, then later finding out that they are kind or generous.

Still, I am much more likely to trust a quiet person than one who is always blah, blah, blah-ing. At least I know the quiet person isn't always trying to manipulate me, a trait I find very annoying.

No comments: