Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Left brain and right brain, equals ego and self?

I am struck by the similarities of the discoveries of two writers whose books influenced my thinking this year. The two books are My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor and The Art of War by Steven Pressfield. Taylor writes about the left brain and the right brain. Pressfield writes about the ego and the self. His ego, I interpret, is like Taylor's left brain: the part of us that takes care of business in this reality we call our daily lives. His self, I interpret, is like Taylor's right brain, the part of us that realizes there are other realities besides this Earth-bound one. The soul exists there. The Holy Spirit resides there. Angels reside there, urging us to grow and create and do the work God put us here to do. It is where we find the strength to love, to assist and be assisted by others, with whom we are connected by our Creator. As you can perceive, I mix these concepts with what I have learned about the Christian life, which is also in my thoughts every day.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Trying to see the world from different perspectives is a Christian value don't you think?