Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Friends

Hi! My name is Sara, and I am going to be eight-years-old next Sunday. Today I want to write about making friends. If someone is not your friend, but you want her to be your friend, come up to her and say, "I want you to be my friend. Please stop being mean to me." If she says no, ask her why. If she explains what you did that made her angry, tell her you are sorry. If she says, "Do you mean it?" Say "Yes, I do mean it!" If she forgives you, then you can go outside and play with her at recess!

I started in a new school in the middle of the fall semester this year, and so far, I don't have any friends there.

4 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

That happened to me too Sara. My father had to go away to war and my mother moved us back home in the middle of the semester. I never did make any friends for the rest of that time. But you know what, I did make friends that summer. Great advice.

Andy said...

Sara, you just hang in there. I never changed schools. I only went to three schools all the way through graduating from High School (an elementary school, a Junior High, and a High School).

But, when I grew up and had children of my own we had to move around because of my job. I didn't really understand how hard it would be for my children to try to make new friends in different places. But, it was.

They are all grown up now. And, when we talk about those days they all tell me that it seemed really tough for them at the time. But, they hung in there. They just kept on being the good, helpful, friendly boys that they were. And, eventually the really good kids became their friends.

Really good kids, like you. You are going to be able to be a friend to someone who really needs you. Right now it might not seem like it. But, if you just keep on being Sara, you will end up helping someone that will remember it for the rest of their life.

Trust me on this. It will be okay. And, not just "okay." It will be really great!

Trinka said...

That sounds like a great strategy Sarah! I think sometimes it helps to find a friend if you look for someone who looks lonely, and maybe needs a friend. There are LOTS of lonely kids who want someone to play with. I know you can do it!!!

Bob's Blog said...

Terri, Andy, and Trinka,
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful encouragement to Sara. I have asked her mom to share your comments with Sara. I really appreciate it.