Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Breaking Night

I am about one-fourth of the way into a book entitled Breaking Night. When I go to the library, I usually hurriedly pick up several books that look interesting, but I usually read only one or two of the pile I pick up and take home. I didn't think I would read this one, because it is about a girl who is the daughter of drug addicts in New York City. After a career in child protection, the last thing I want to do is open up all those memories.

Yet, I did begin to read the book. The writer is the younger of two daughters. Her older sister was temporarily removed from the home when the mother was pregnant with the writer. That period in foster care was enough to show the older sister that there are families who actually provide for their children on a consistent basis. Upon being returned to her mother, the older sister felt cheated, victimized, and was always angry at being neglected.

The author, Liz Murray, on the other hand, was her parents' caretaker, wanting their love and attention more than anything else in the world. She never blamed them for their horrendous addictions. She knew they loved her and needed her. And, she knew how to maximize opportunities for her to assist her parents.

Liz is a wonderful writer.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

Is it amazing how some kids just come shining through the darkness.