Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Interacting with various kinds of people

There are (at least) three people at work who are always complaining. You know when you get near them that the first words out of their mouths will be complaints. It gets tiring. You want to do a U-turn when you see them coming closer. They are their own worst enemies, who live out self-fulfilling prophecies of doom and gloom.

Do you know people like that? I bet you do. Do you engage with them, or avoid them? When I do engage with them, I find myself wanting to disengage almost immediately.

While I am on this rant, how about the people who engage with you only to impart their superior wisdom or knowledge of any topic? These people are, like the complainers, not interested in reciprocal exchanges of views, only in re-affirming their own superiority.

Even if there are things you like about these individuals, (they may be attractive physically or intelligent, for example), my advice is to limit your contacts with them, and don't try to change them. They have to come to their own realization of their need to change. My male friends, especially need to heed this warning. Men like to be with women who are physically attractive. Only when it is too late do they realize the importance of other considerations.

Give me the few who live their lives from a base of happiness. They are grateful, optimistic, and they take responsibility for their health and happiness. Those are the folks I want to be around!

4 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

Many years ago a friend told me to be upbeat and positive and that would attract friends to me. I've tried to live that philosophy and have been blessed with odd and unusual friends. I've also discovered it makes those "other" people angry at you. I would settle for them avoiding me.

Unknown said...

I disagree. What's wrong with interacting with people with an over-inflated sense of superiority if one learns from them?

Besides, if one thinks others think that they're superior, is that not casting the first stone?

Bob's Blog said...

Nick,
You've got a point, and I swear I was not referring to you!

Unknown said...

It's a different thing from not wanting to interact with people with an over-inflated sense of ego though. That, I understand.