Thursday, September 02, 2010

Front row students

After paying an unannounced visit to my sons' classrooms, I couldn't help but inquire of them how it is that both ended up being placed immediately adjacent to their teachers desks. Ten-year-old Jon explained that his teacher thought he might need that in order to focus on the tasks at hand. I noted that his teacher seemed like the type not to put up with clowning around. Jon agreed and said she is "really good about that." I asked him, "you mean you respect her for not putting up with your silliness?" He said yes, he did. We then had a good discussion about how kids need to know that adults care enough about them to not let them run over them. Those adults who do allow children to just always do what they want, are really giving the kids a message that they do not care.

Nine-year-old Greg then noted that teachers put kids in the front row who have demonstrated that they need to be "kept an eye on." I asked Greg if it was really true that he put up two fingers behind the teacher's head (making rabbit ears) while walking behind the teacher. He said yes, that is the reason he is now in the front row.



While making my daily visit to the Washington Rebel blog, I came across this parody from The Onion, which reminded me to post about my discussion with my sons about being front row students.

3 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

I was always in the front near the teacher's desk because I was so darn short, I couldn't see the board and I hated it then, admire them now.

That onion piece was hysterical thanks for making me laugh at 7 am at work. I needed to start the day that way.

Meilandru said...

In college, where you choose to sit on the first day often dictates where you sit the entire semester.

Also, where you choose to sit often dictates your level of commitment to the course. If you sit in the back, you tend not to do as well. If you sit in the front, you pay more attention. Also, in the front, the teacher notices you more and is more likely to be helpful if you're asking for assistance.

Bob's Blog said...

Terri,
The onion video had the same effect on Colleen and me.

Meilandru,
All very true and wise.