Monday, June 16, 2014

Post-Fathers Day post

How was Fathers Day? Wouldn't you like to know how it compares to Mothers Day in sales? I'm guessing it is about a ten to one ratio in favor of Mothers Day. And how about greeting cards? Notice any difference in Mothers Day cards you bought and Fathers Day cards? Chances are your Fathers Day cards were "humorous" (often sarcastic), and your Mothers Day cards were worshipful. Men have bought in to the Homer Simpson/Family Guy images of themselves, though, so don't worry about offending them.

After all, haven't our courts decided that the primary caregivers for children of divorced parents should be the mothers? Again, the ratio is probably about ten to one. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that children need mothers more than they need fathers? That is apparently what our courts have decided.

I'm having these thoughts as I am waiting for my stepson Erik to pick me up for a post-Fathers Day dinner. He decided in high school that he wanted to become a diesel mechanic. Now, at age 22 he has an incredible job. Whenever a truck is having mechanical problems on the interstate highways coming in and out of Denver, Erik is the guy who is called to come and fix the problem. Obviously, I am very proud of him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree more Bob...your personal take so real and so true. A belated Happy Father's Day to you too, although any day could either be a Father's Day or Mother's Day depending on how you perceive things, right? :) You're such a fortunate soul too...to feel proud for your stepson's achievement too...I guess your sense of fatherhood over him is working at its best :)

God bless!
Sole Gage
Say It With God’s Word