Wednesday, October 09, 2013

The inimitable Justice Scalia

p

New York Magazine has an interview by Jennifer Senior with Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. What newspapers does he "skim" every day? The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Times. From where does he get most of his daily news? Talk radio: Bill Bennett's program is his favorite. Why doesn't he attend The State of The Union addresses? "It's childish."

He thinks society has been coarsened.

He doesn't want Catholics to lose the spirit of evangelizing for Christ.

He believes the Devil exists. The interviewer asks him what he thinks the Devil is doing now.

What he’s doing now is getting people not to believe in him or in God. He’s much more successful that way.
When the interviewer asks, "Isn't it terribly frightening to believe in the Devil," Scalia gets offended, and blasts him:
You’re looking at me as though I’m weird. My God! Are you so out of touch with most of America, most of which believes in the Devil? I mean, Jesus Christ believed in the Devil! It’s in the Gospels! You travel in circles that are so, so removed from mainstream America that you are appalled that anybody would believe in the Devil! Most of mankind has believed in the Devil, for all of history. Many more intelligent people than you or me have believed in the Devil.

He is an avid hunter and poker player.

He likes to have at least one law clerk who is a liberal.

I like to have one of the four clerks whose predispositions are quite the opposite of mine—who are social liberals rather than social conservatives. That kind of clerk will always be looking for the chinks in my armor, for the mistakes I’ve made in my opinion. That’s what clerks are for—to make sure I don’t make mistakes. The trouble is, I have found it hard to get liberals like that, who pay attention to text and are not playing in a policy sandbox all the time.

1 comment:

Infidel de Manahatta said...

It's only a matter of time before our liberal overlords come after him.