Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The quick fix

San Diego's Democrat Mayor Filner now has eighteen women who have come forward to accuse him of highly inappropriate sexual conduct. Not to worry, though; after three days of "treatment," his misbehavior is "behind" him, he says. Dr. Jeanne Safer writes,

Real therapy takes time, and effort, and commitment. The internet age and shortened attention spans haven’t changed human nature.

Authentic therapy, the kind that profoundly and permanently changes your relationship not only to others but to yourself, usually takes months or years; it took you a long time to accrue your character—how can it take nano-seconds to change it? It took decades for me, even with my years of professional training. And even though both my therapists had their limitations, they gave me the tools to lead an examined life, the most precious education I had, and the one I’m most grateful for. I plan to continue the process, on my own now, for the rest of my life. I’m very glad it’s not “behind me.”

No comments: