Thursday, October 27, 2011

Rumsfeld's friends and enemies

Recently I met a young man (at least he was considerably younger than I) who wore a cap saying he was a retired veteran. I thanked him for his service and told him I have been reading Rumsfeld's Known and Unknown. He immediately rolled his eyes. I asked him what specifically he didn't like about Rumsfeld. Rather than give me a specific, he said things like, "If his lips are moving, you know he is lying." I pressed him further for one specific. He grudgingly admitted Rumsfeld was a good fiscal manager, but "too political, and not enough of a vigorous advocate for the welfare of the troops."

I suggested to the man that he might want to read Rumsfeld's book. He said he had already read it twice. I doubted the veracity of that claim, because if he had read it, he would surely know that there are no people in the world Rumsfeld admires and appreciates more than the people who volunteer to be in the U.S. military. It always takes me aback when I encounter a military or ex-military person who is a lefty.

A man of action, like Rumsfeld, is going to have enemies. It is clear, though, that Rumsfeld kept excellent records of his stands on every conceivable issue of controversy. Known for sending memos with the frequency of "snowflakes," Rumsfeld documented everything. People whom he respected and appreciated included Bush and Cheney, several generals and diplomats, Presidents Jerry Ford, Ronald Reagan, and Harry Truman. One who was absolutely not respected by Rumsfeld was Senator John McCain. Though he respected them, Colin Powell and Condi Rice were not among those who came in for much praise in the book.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

My veteran dad says it's the disillusionment from war that makes ex military lefties. They aren't really they just don't trust ANY politician and esp commanding ones.