Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Everyone's son!"

The Denver Post is reporting today, in a story written by Washington Post reporter Ernesto Londono, that Israel gave back to Hamas 1,027 Palestinian prisoners in exchange for one Israeli soldier, Gilad Shalit, who had been living in solitary confinement in a dark pit for five years. The response of Hamas? "A spokesman for the Hamas military arm suggested that the group would continue to seek opportunities to kidnap Israeli soldiers."

Well, Duh! Why a one-to-one-thousand ratio? Why give such a resounding victory to Hamas? Why put at risk other Israeli soldiers? I am going to read some blog posts, and will update this post if I learn anything.
The link: http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_19143692

Update: Barry Rubin links to this powerful piece by Yassi Klein Halevi:
What would you do, campaign activists challenged opponents, if he were your son? “He’s everyone’s son,” sang rocker Aviv Gefen. One day I passed a rally for Gilad in a park in downtown Jerusalem. Several counter-demonstrators were holding signs opposing surrender to terrorism. “I happen to agree with you,” I said to one of them. “But don’t you feel uneasy protesting against the Shalit family?”

“We’re not protesting against the Shalit family,” he replied. “We’re protesting to save future victims of freed terrorists. Those victims don’t have names yet. But they could be my son or your son.”

Every debate over Gilad ended at the same point: your son. And so I tried, too, not to think of Gilad’s extraordinary parents, Noam and Aviva. Even when denouncing the government they spoke quietly, incapable of indignity. The best of Israel, as we say here, reminding ourselves that the best of Israel is the best of anywhere.

For more than a year the Shalits have lived in a tent near the prime minister’s office. When I walked nearby I would avoid the protest encampment, ashamed to be opposing the campaign. This past Israeli Independence Day, though, I saw a crowd gathered around the tent, and wandered over. “GILAD IS STILL ALIVE,” banners reminded: It’s not too late to save him. Inside the tent, Noam and Aviva were sitting with family and friends, singing the old Zionist songs. I wanted to shake Noam’s hand, tell him to be strong, but I resisted the urge. I didn’t deserve the privilege of comforting him.

I wanted to tell Noam what we shared. As it happens, my son served in the same tank unit as Gilad, two years after he was kidnapped. I wanted to tell Noam that that was the real reason I couldn’t bear thinking about his family. That in opposing the mass release of terrorists for Gilad, it was my son I was betraying.


The Arab world’s challenge is to shift from a culture that sanctifies honor to a culture that sanctifies dignity. Honor is about pride; dignity is about human value. Hamas may have upheld its honor; but Israel affirmed the dignity of a solitary human life.


How is it possible, Israelis ask themselves, that so-called progressives around the world champion Hamas and Hezbollah against the Jewish state? Perhaps it’s because we’re too complicated, too messy: a democracy that is also an occupier, a consumerist society living under a permanent death sentence. Perhaps those pure progressives fear a contagion of Israeli ambivalence.

For all my anxieties about the deal, I feel no ambivalence at this moment, only gratitude and relief. Gratitude that I live in a country whose hard leaders cannot resist the emotional pressure of a soldier’s parents. And relief that I no longer have to choose between the well-being of my country and the well-being of my son.


The link: http://www.tabletmag.com/news-and-politics/80719/everyone%E2%80%99s-son/

Update two: I have another question. If Jews understand this action to save "everyone's son," then why do they not understand that the same God, whom they worship, gave His Son for the salvation of everyone who repents of sin, believes in Him, and asks for His forgiveness?

No comments: