Sunday, October 30, 2011

Humanism versus fundamentalism: Individual freedom versus having a fixed role in a group

Steven Pressfield tackles some controversial subjects in The War of Art. One is humanism versus fundamentalism. He is on the side of humanism. He says humanists look forward, co-creating the world with God, while fundamentalists look backward, studying their sacred texts, in "inverted creativity." The fundamentalist is consumed with Satan and the temptation to sin. I wonder if there is not a third alternative to humanism and fundamentalism, though I don't know what it would be called.

Another topic Pressfield tackles is individual freedom versus the lack of freedom involved in being a member of a tribe or clan. He writes that we are programmed, because of hundreds of years of evolution, to be members of tribes or clans. The individual has been emasculated and dislocated. We know how to function in the tribe or clan, but we do not know how to function as autonomous, free individuals. He says the artist has a core of self-confidence. Do you have that? He quotes someone who says we are free only to the extent of our self-mastery. Are we ready for freedom? Do you know who you are? Do you know why you are here?

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

According to my religion there is most def a third way. And yes I do know who I am, what's expected of me and why it's expected of me. It's the living up to it part I'm not so good at.