Thursday, January 06, 2011

They do it for us.

Yesterday, where I work, I saw a man walking. He looked to be in excruciating pain. I asked him about it. He said he was trying to get used to a prosthesis. His entire leg had been blown off in Afghanistan. He told me he just came from the V.A. hospital, and he does not want to go back, because he has one bad experience after another with the bureaucrats there. He said he is a Marine stationed at Fort Carson near Colorado Springs.

But he did not want to talk about his problems. He wanted to tell the store manager how helpful one of our employees had been to him. I wrote down the name and number of our store manager and gave it to him. I thanked him humbly for his service, choking back tears, and wished him help from God in his recovery process. He left with a smile and his head up.

2 comments:

innominatus said...

Yep. A buddy of mine from church left most of his left leg in Iraq. After a LOT of rehab he re-quailifed for combat with his (above the knee!) prosthesis and went to Afghanistan.

While it is true that all men are created equal, some later end up much better than most of us.

Terri Wagner said...

Thank you does seem so inadequate but those who serve on the front lines, at home and their families have my prayers, respect and love every day top of the list.