Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Who are the ones who are developmentally disabled?

Yesterday I was in one of those huge big box superstores. There were twenty or so developmentally disabled adults being chaperoned by two other adults. Suddenly, one member of the group, a short round young woman, let out a piercing scream I had never heard from a human or animal. She had recognized her brother shopping in the store with his two young children. She ran to him and gave him a highly emotional hug. After telling him several times, "I love you," she patted the two young children lovingly and returned to her group, telling everyone that the man over there is her brother. The male chaperone came over and introduced himself to the brother, which I thought was very cool. The group milled around for a while, then left the store. The joy never left that young woman, as she continued to tell everyone that she had just seen her brother.

The genuineness of that young woman's love for her brother was inspiring to me. We are so used to reciting polite but phony greetings to one another. Here in Colorado, it all starts with "How're you doing?" If I am not doing well, I still say that I am. Sadness and loss are subjects that are off limits among us non-developmentally disabled adults. If you say "I'm well, thank you" enough, you start to believe it yourself, and you actually begin to feel better! Developmentally disabled adults do not seem to be capable of guile. The loving emotions from that young woman seemed to burst forth from every cell of her body.

I wonder, who are the ones who are disabled?

4 comments:

Terri Wagner said...

They are the angels among us.

Andy said...

Good grass for chewing there, Bob. In my new job I'm working at a hospital. I guess I've fallen in to the habit of a "How ya' doing?" as a greeting.

Almost always you get a "Fine, and you?" But it occurred to me the other day that probably not very many of the comers and goers there are really doing fine (except for the new Papas, or proud Grandparents up in Labor & Deivery).

They are either ill themselves, or have a friend or loved one that is. I'm going to have to work on a new greeting...

Regardless, thanks for the story of the young lady. I routinely see groups of folks at WalMart similar to what you describe. My wife and I always make a point to try to acknowledge, and speak to the adults in charge, and visit a minute with some of their charges.

Their faces just beam. Good post, Bob. Lots to think about there.

Bob's Blog said...

Thanks Terri and Andy. Andy, it is such a delight to me to have you as a new reader. You really "got" what I was trying to say. I am honored to have a person with your character lending me your wisdom!

Andy said...

Well sir, your blog is an enjoyable read. No need to thank me for enjoying myself.