Monday, November 15, 2010

Eat. Pray, Love

I am enjoying Liz Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love. Yes, there have been a couple of Republican-bashing remarks, but we can't always limit ourselves to people who have the same political beliefs, can we? Liz has a great sense of humor, and writes about grappling with life issues that most of us have to deal with at one time or another. She goes through the excruciating pain of divorce, then another failed love relationship, and decides to spend four months each in Italy, India, and Indonesia. Italy was where she pleasured herself eating. Now I am at the part in the book where she goes to India and lives in an Ashram.

One of her comments about life in the Ashram, quoting someone else, was that "prayer is where we talk to God; meditation is where we listen to God." She had problems with the meditation part, and so would I.

1 comment:

Andy said...

The gal has a point. I believe in prayer as a vehicle to talk to God. And, in an odd way, it is futile...yet not. God already knows all the junk we are dealing with, so it's kinda pointless in a way to tell Him. But, I've always hoped that the fact that I offer up my concerns, petitions, needs, (and yes...even some selfish wants) to Him lets Him know that I KNOW, too.

As far as the "meditation" deal being His way to talk to me. Well, I can't argue with the premise. I guess everybody does it their own way, and I'm not much of a meditator (in the classic sense). I can't just sit still and I blame God for that. But, while I'm cutting grass, or driving, or even at work doing some mundane task...yep! That's when I hear Him.

Then again, sometimes I hear Him in the words of a TV character, or a neighbor, or just about dang near anything...The Holy Ghost will use just about anything to speak to me/us/whatever.

Good post, Bob. Even though I'll not likely read the book, because I don't have an eating problem (I'm 5' 9", and weigh in at 135), but I've still got my own issues/excesses, etc. Long stories I won't clog up your blog with.

For now.