Wednesday, October 06, 2010

"Tell Me a Story"

When I was a boy growing up in Iowa, we did go to church every Sunday, the First Methodist Church in Sioux City. I loved the hymns. This one kinda reminds me of a typical Sunday hymn there.
Dad served as an usher. I did not realize how boring the actual church service was until I went to college in Abilene, Texas and started attending Baptist churches. There will be much more on that in later installments. What made me think about this aspect of my childhood was this post I read today at Julie's Work in Progress blog.

3 comments:

julie said...

That was lovely, Bob - and thanks for the link! And speaking of stories, it's been interesting reading about your early years. And your father - I can't imagine how horrible it must have been for him to find his father's body. I think he did a pretty great job with you, though.

Bob's Blog said...

Yes, Julie it must have been horrific for Dad. Hold your kind words until you've learned what a mess I've made of my life.

Terri Wagner said...

I grew up on military bases so you were Catholic or nondemonational (sp?) I thought it was a religion. The worst part...because of the nature of military thinking (and I'm not putting it down), the pulpit rotated preachers. Most were boring. Or is it just being a kid that makes sitting in church boring?