Friday, September 12, 2008

Non-verbal Cues

Have you noticed how John McCain fidgets with his wedding ring finger while standing next to Sarah Palin? He did it again today at the 9-11 ceremonies, but this time he was standing next to his wife on one side and Obama on the other. Bad habit! Can't someone in his campaign explain that to him? Placing his right hand on his ring finger and moving it up and down the finger just looks bad.

I know, I probably have had way too much training on observing non-verbal cues. I find it fascinating to observe non-verbal behaviors and try to figure out if they mean anything. There is a former police chief from Rock Island, Illinois who makes a good living training law enforcement officers around the country to observe people's eyes when they are talking. If the eyes go down and to the right, it means one thing (lying?), and if they go up and to the left it means another, which I can't remember. Likewise for up and to the right and down and to the left.

One of the many things I like about Sarah Palin is that she looks an interviewer right in the eyes. Straight ahead, Sarah!

5 comments:

shoprat said...

Sometimes nervous fidgeting is just nervous fidgeting. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Bob's Blog said...

shoprat,
Yes, I know that. I still find it to be very distracting. If he cannot stop fidgeting, he needs to step back out of the eye of the camera, and let Sarah confidently enunciate the conservative positions the campaign now stands for.

Bob's Blog said...

shoprat,
Yes, I know that. I still find it to be very distracting. If he cannot stop fidgeting, he needs to step back out of the eye of the camera, and let Sarah confidently enunciate the conservative positions the campaign now stands for.

Terri Wagner said...

I wonder if he just in pain. I have a bad habit of massaging my hands unconsciously but then I have some strange not even named yet condition that causes my hands to hurt. It's not fibra or artho or MS, it's just sensitive hands.

Bob's Blog said...

terri,
You may well be right. I know that his war injuries severely restrict his use of his arms.