Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Is America Really That Bad?

Do the majority of Americans think America is so bad we need a messiah for a presidential candidate? If so, how did we develop such a negative view of our country? True, every MSM newscast features some terrible thing about what's happening in our country. However, I thought the majority of Americans did not pay much attention to the news.

Yesterday I was joking with a sales clerk in a thrift store. She had made a mistake, and was jokingly hoping she would be fired for her mistake. I told her that a lot of successful people have been fired many times during their career. I made the mistake of mentioning Rush Limbaugh. She expoded! "There is only one man on earth I hate more than that man, and that is that doofus in the White House!" She went on to say how Bush has wrecked this country. I was in a hurry to go get our foster baby from a visit with his bioparents, so I only managed a feeble "Oh, I don't think things are so bad." I think the woman is probably still on her rant 24 hours later.

1 comment:

Terri Wagner said...

That has happened to me in such odd places as well. I used to back off, but now I just look them right in the eye and say, gee, I dunno but we haven't had another hit from a terrorist nor has the economy gone wackly and that's really all I care about. And then leave quickly while their mouth is still hung open, snicker.