Sunday, November 18, 2007

Almost Broken, But Now On The Mend!



Most of you are familiar with the extremely popular blog called PostSecret. People make homemade postcards and write on them some secret, then mail them in to a blogger named Frank. I was surfing there today and found this:
"I saw you speak this week at UK. You said "the children the world almost break become the adults who save it". That is my secret. Thank you for giving it voice. I did not break. I did survive and now I am a therapist working with the most disturbed, most abused, but the most incredible children. I believe they can all be saved. I believe they are all worth saving. I am trying one at a time."

That is my prayer for Sara, Mau Mau, and Linebacker Dude, all of whom fit the description of children the world almost broke. Sara was born to a prostitute who used all kinds of illegal drugs during her pregnancy. Linebacker Dude was constantly abandoned by his prostitute mom. Mau's mother broke Mau's leg in a fit of rage. All of these children have within them the capacity to save this world, by not repeating the cycle of abuse and neglect from which they came.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

I am honored to associate with you even if it is only through Blogland...
Thank you for the time and energy you give to take care of these children that no one else wanted...
I admire you and your wife for giving your heart to these children and I pray for you and for these little ones that you will be able to keep them safe from their backgrounds...

Anonymous said...

For just this I think so much of you and Colleen.

Bob's Blog said...

mimi and cynthia,
Thank you both for your kind words. There are, of course, difficult times, but there is a lot of love being expressed by a lot of people, big and small. Even though they often find the adults in our family to be awfully annoying, each of them does seem actually to like having a mommy and daddy they can count on!