Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Order, Discipline, Predictability

I met another neighbor this week. He is from Checkloslavakia. I asked him about it. He said that under Communism the country had discipline and was clean. Yes, people lived in fear, but they were employed in the factories, had free health care, and there was order! Since he seemed to be lamenting the death of the former Communist state, I asked him why he came to America. One word: jobs! I asked him how he liked America. He said it was very different, and he did not seem to want to make a compliment. He admitted that because he was not lazy, he had made a good life for his family, and that anybody who was not lazy could make it in America. But I sensed a longing for the order, discipline, and predictability of his homeland before the fall of Communism.

1 comment:

shoprat said...

Where the lazy could succeed.