Thursday, August 16, 2007

I Feel Like Such A Hypocrite

This year I am only going to homeschool one child, our first-grader. Our oldest will be going to college. Our next one is a ninth-grader, then an eighth-grader and a second-grader. I will be home with the first-grader, the three-year-old, two two-year-olds, and a one-year-old half-brother of Mau Mau.

Colleen found a charter school with very high academic standards and an emphasis on character development. The students wear uniforms that are heavy on the polyester percentages. I have not worn polyester since the early seventies, and now I am sending my kids to a school that REQUIRES them to wear polyester? What a hypocrite!

And that is only the beginning. Tonight we went to the New Families Orientation. It was incredibly boring. After one-half-hour, I was cracking wise to my wife, who started to get the giggles. Luckily, we were seated at the far end of the bleachers, which was completely appropriate for a guy who no longer has patience for self-important bureaucrats who take a half-hour to tell parents how to enter and exit the parking lot.

5 comments:

vw bug said...

If it is a good school, I see no problem. I am sending my oldest to Kindergarten away from home and he will be taking the bus. To be honest, I think he will get a better education there with me supplementing it at home than if I tried to homeschool him.

Rita Loca said...

Sounds like you had a good time anyway!

Mrs. Who said...

What is it about schools and parking lots? It's a big deal at my sons' school...maps are mailed home detailing the traffic patterns even.

Gayle said...

Polyester??? Oh, nooooo! I feel your pain!

Bob's Blog said...

Mrs. Who,
I remember a post or two from you about parking lots. I think the real issue is that the educrats want to make sure they, themselves, can get out unimpeded!

Jungle Mom,
Guilty as charged!

VW,
Best wishes to you and your eldest!

Gayle,
I can only hope my sons and daughter will feel that they look cool, like I always used to think I looked cool in the early seventies!