Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Changes

I am now listening more to NPR than to conservative talk radio. I realized I had heard the commercials so often that I almost had them all memorized. There are just so many of them, and they are too long. NPR just gives two sentence ads that say, "support comes from..." and goes on in those two sentences to list one or two notable things about those businesses. (However, NPR is now in their Spring drive to build more listener financial support, so I am flipping back to conservative talk radio during their membership drive).

I am also reading more centrist blogs, such as Ann Althouse. I realized during this primary season that the mainstream media is not the only place that is biased. The Drudge Report and Breitbart were two internet sites I used to read regularly. I used to prefer Fox News to CNN. No longer. I now view them as similar, while Drudge and Breitbart have been in the tank for Trump, who was not my first choice during the primary season.

It's up to us readers and viewers to realize the biases influencing how news stories are presented by those sources. Glenn Beck is one I still listen to. He stands for the principles inherent in the founding of our country. Today he told us that he is going to a face-to-face meeting with Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg tomorrow. It was revealed recently that Facebook's "trending" stories are not always based on computer algorythms, as they are purported to be. Stories of interest to conservative readers often do not make that list. But Beck recognizes Facebook's rights as a private business. They should be free to run their business any way they want, and they must be doing something right, because they have over one billion users! If businesses make the wrong choices, they should eventually lose customer support. Beck just wants to "look Zuckerberg in the eyes" and see what he has to say about the allegations of bias.

Where do I go to find news stories I post on this blog? That's changing, too. Notice that in my last two posts I have quoted from New York Times stories three times. That used to be anathema. For years Rush Limbaugh has been showing us how the media is biased against conservatives, especially. places like the New York Times and CNN. That remains one of Rush's strengths, and I still tune him in for brief moments during the day. Oh, and by the way, I am using Facebook more than I ever have. I am finding stories there every day that are worth discussing here on this blog.

No comments: