Sunday, October 05, 2014

Rewards

The person I hang out with and enjoy most is a black man raised in the ghettos of Atlanta and Memphis. We frequently have to ask each other to repeat what we just said, because we speak different versions of the English language. He was raised with little contact with white Americans, just as I was raised with little contact with black Americans. Nevertheless we have forged a friendship that we both value highly.

My daughter is a black person raised in a white family. She and her two Causcasian brothers attend schools in New Mexico where all three are in the minority, although my daughter much more so than my sons. Here is how she explains it to me: "People can communicate with me when they're not mocking me or being racist. I earn it. God rewards you when you do something good. You are rewarded with people loving you."

No comments: