Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Trying to do life without me

Jeannie Cunnion is the guest blogger today at A Holy Experience. She writes about a bike ride with her sons. One son gets lost, then found by his mom.
Whatever he’d just done paled in comparison with the joy in my heart to have him back in my arms.

My love for him was unfazed by his wrong actions. By his disobedience. By his going ahead of me, trying to do life without me.

Luke describes the son’s return this way: “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him” (Luke 15:20).

He ran to his rebellious son.

Before his son ever spoke one word of regret or remorse, the father ran to his son and embraced him.

The unconditional love and absolute acceptance the father had for his son in this parable symbolizes the unconditional love and absolute acceptance our Heavenly Father, with great extravagance, pours out. on. us. through his one and only son, Jesus Christ. While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

This parable is a portrait of God’s radical grace, a poignant reminder that when we are in Christ, there is no condemnation, no shame, no “That’s what you get for disobeying me.” There is only, “I am so happy to have you back in my arms. I love you so much!”

Oh friend, I find so much hope in this parable. This unfathomable grace isn’t just for my son. It’s for my weak and rebellious heart too. As a mom “prone to wander, Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love,” I never have to fear my Father’s rejection or disappointment.

This extravagant grace of God forever eliminates the burden of perfection – perfect obedience, perfect parenting, perfect anything.

Grace is God’s final word of unconditional love and acceptance in the perfection of Jesus Christ.

Absolutely nothing can get between us and God’s love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us (Romans 8:39 MSG).

His arms are open. He is running to meet you, to pull you up, to hold you close. To captivate you, and your child, with His wholehearted love.

No comments: