Monday, January 13, 2014

Oh what a tangled web we weave...

When first we practice to deceive. I am watching the self check registers. A woman comes up with her three-year-old child in her cart. As the woman approaches, she announces loudly, "We have to pay for these items." She rings up her cartload and pays for all but one item. She turns to her cart and, realizing I have been watching her the whole time, says out loud, "I don't know if I paid for that item." She brings the receipt to me. I look at it. "No, ma'am, you didn't pay for that. Do you still want it?" "Yes, I do." So she pays for it, and heads for the exit.

That's when I notice our security guy following her. He follows her to the door and then confronts her. He had seen her take wrappings off some toys, stuff the toys in her pocket, then put the wrappings in the trash. With the wrappings off, there would be no bar code to trip the security alarm as she exited.

Police were called and she was issued a ticket for shoplifting. "First offense." I don't believe that; it was the first time she had been caught.

No comments: