Thursday, January 30, 2014

Before you diagnose yourself...

I had never gone to Pinterest before today. I was trying to find an image Ann Voskamp linked to this morning. I finally found it, and I also found two or three others that I really liked.




This one makes me think of someone I know at work. She is a very nice young woman, but she has very little confidence in herself. One day she told me that as a young girl she had been sexually abused by an uncle. She has had much therapy, and sees herself as depressed, bi-polar, you name it, and is taking lots of medications.

The other day we had a cashiers meeting, something we have not had in years. Right away she got paranoid, thinking she was going to get fired because she had called in sick a few times. She was a nervous wreck as the meeting started. Soon, though, it became apparent that the person conducting the meeting was only there in a supportive role, available to answer questions and give tips about how we can improve our work performance.

She visibly relaxed and asked many good questions designed to learn more about how to do her job well. Methinks her main mental health problem was being raised around assholes who saw her as someone to exploit, rather than to love and cherish.

No comments: