Monday, September 16, 2013

Parenting

Grocery stores are designed to send children into crying fits. All of the sugary food, the bright packaging, the toys, the candy — it’s a minefield. The occasional meltdown is unavoidable, the real test is how you deal with it.
Matt Walsh writes about a mom who dealt with it well, and about a man who didn't.

This mother handled it like a pro. She was like mom-ninja; she was calm and poised, but stern and in command.

The man? He was one of those

Ignorant non-parents, who don’t know what they’re talking about, imposing ridiculous standards on actual parents because it makes them feel superior.

But there is another group that is even worse.

As bad as you people are, you’re not nearly as horrible as the second type: actual parents with grown children who judge other parents, as if they haven’t been in the exact same situation many times. I always love the older folks who lecture about how THEIR kids weren’t as “attached to electronics” as kids are nowadays. That’s probably true, but mainly because, well, YOU DIDN’T HAVE ELECTRONICS. You had a toaster and a black and white TV with 2 channels, both of which were pretty easy to regulate. But, sure, congratulations for not letting your kids use things that didn’t exist.

Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do. You shouldn’t scrutinize parents when you aren’t one, for the same reason I wouldn’t sit and heckle an architect while he draws up the blueprint for a new skyscraper. I know that buildings generally aren’t supposed to fall down, but I don’t have the slightest clue as to how to design one that won’t, so I’ll just keep my worthless architectural opinions to myself.

1 comment:

vw bug said...

Learned that lesson long ago. Luckily it was with a friend who is still a friend 20 years later. She and I laugh about how I wasn't going to be a mom that gave my kids benedryl to put them to sleep or let them watch too much tv. BAW HAHAHAHAHA. After that 2nd one... benedryl and tv were my friends. We still talk about how living in a village with family near by would help... until then... use what you have!