Monday, September 02, 2013

Is this a scam?

From Psychology Today:

I am a sociopath. Perhaps the most noticeable aspect of my confidence is the way I sustain eye contact.

I was a perceptive child, but I couldn't relate to people beyond amusing them, which was just another way for me to make them do what or behave how I wanted them to. I didn't like to be touched and I rejected affection. The only physical contact I sought usually entailed violence.

My parents ignored my blatant and awkward attempts to manipulate, deceive, and inveigle others.

I did the minimum necessary to insinuate myself into everyone's good graces so I could get what I needed.

Aggression, risk taking, and a lack of concern for one's own health, or that of others, are hallmarks of sociopathy.

Remorse is alien to me. I have a penchant for deceit. I am generally free of entangling and irrational emotions. I am strategic and canny, intelligent and confident, but I also struggle to react appropriately to other people's confusing and emotion-driven social cues.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a sociopath's dream. Mormons believe that everyone has the potential to be godlike—I believe this includes me. Every being is capable of salvation; my actions are what matters, not my ruthless thoughts, not my nefarious motivations. Everyone is a sinner, and I never felt that I was outside this norm.

I am an accomplished attorney and law professor, a well-respected young academic who regularly writes for law journals and advances legal theories. I donate 10 percent of my income to charity and teach Sunday school for the Mormon Church. I have a close circle of family and friends whom I love and who very much love me. Does this sound like you? Recent estimates say that one in every 25 people is a sociopath. But you're not a serial killer, never imprisoned? Most of us aren't. Only 20 percent of male and female prison inmates are sociopaths, although we are probably responsible for about half of all serious crimes committed. Nor are most sociopaths incarcerated. In fact, the silent majority of sociopaths live freely and anonymously, holding down jobs, getting married, having children. We are legion and diverse.

My sociopathic traits make me a particularly excellent trial lawyer. I'm cool under pressure. I feel no guilt or compunction. Besides, the nature of the crime is of no moral concern to me; I am interested only in winning the legal game.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Actually, it could very well be true. Sociopaths can be productive. They can stay out of trouble, but only to avoid the negative consequences.

Notice the person sounds like a liberal?